Thursday, July 10, 2008

Columna Lucis

Hi. I have chosen a name for this blog in poor taste, in honor of one of my favorite writers, James Thurber. He's deceased, and even if he wasn't, he'd be unable to read it anyway. Look him up in your local library, if you like to laugh. He was a very funny bastard, and cartoonist for the New Yorker. He was a lifelong friend of E.B. White, and had an honored seat at the Algonquin Round Table. Don't look that up on wikipedia, though. Try a local library instead, it's good exercise, and you should be thankful if you have one in the first place.

Two things I like are reading and riding my bike. Bicycles are an excellent way to not be paying for gasoline, which seems like a good idea nowadays. Most of the people I work with work two jobs, one to live on, one to pay for gas, which seems like a vicious cycle. I don't think they get enough sleep, or quality time with friends and family, and a double commute would seem rather demoralizing. I live close enough to work to ride a bike or walk, so I'm usually well-rested and only work this one job. I like to read during lunchbreaks, but lately we've been having "blackout lunches", as most of my co-workers have a siesta and prefer it dark. Which makes it hard to read, of course. I suppose I'll have to get one of those little personal book lights. Some of these people read, too, but mostly just the daily paper. And I doubt they have much time for libraries, which isn't to say I disparage or pity them, I like them a whole bunch, and if I didn't, I wouldn't have worked with them for these past eight and a half years.

We work at Brass Beds of Virginia, located in Richmond Virginia. I'll attach a link to the company website hopefully soon. Our boss and owner rides his bike to work every day. I'm going to sign out, and leave you with a couplet I thought up on the can this morning:
Appearances can be deceiving
Dissapearences can be relieving

No comments: