Friday, July 25, 2008

Kobedas rule

April K. was a good friend of mine, we met at the University of Maryland, College Park. She was odd, with a thick Pittsburgh accent and I didn't know what to make of her at first. We were introduced by Luke, the punk guy in our dorm that I had made friends with, and the three of us were tight that year. In different ways- Luke and I took photos in a adjacent-to-campus stream of me brandishing a chainsaw, and hosted the "Morrisey Must Die" radio show, Thursdays, 3 a.m. to 6a.m. on the campus radio. April and I listened to Black Sabbath in her dorm room, and I participated in her "art shows", always clothed. I chucked College Park, but not her, and we kept in touch via correspondence, for years. Me in Richmond, her in PA, WA, me in Baltimore, etc., we were young and not fixed to any geographical point, mostly. Her letters had an effect on me, and our visits too. Except the visit to me in Baltimore that had a lot of roaches, sorry to April for that. Anyway, she introduced me to a lot of cool stuff, i.e. Pappilion, The Oblivians, Miss Secret, Boxcar Bertha, the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. Hope she's not dead.

No comments: